text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

Employment During Study

Working part-time while studying is a great way to help with you living expenses in Canada, and one can also gain work experience in their field of study.

A student can work in Canada while they are studying even if they do not have a work permit. This may be possible if they:

  • Have a valid study permit
  • Are a full-time student
  • Enrolled at a post-secondary level or at the secondary level
  • Have been studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

Then students can:

  • Work up to 20 hours per week between regular academic terms
  • Work full-time during scheduled breaks between academic terms
  • As a student you can work on-campus without a work permit if you have a valid study permit or are a full-time student at:
  1. A public post-secondary institution, such as a university.
  2. A private post-secondary institution that operates same as a public institution.
  3. A Canadian private institution authorized by a provincial statute to confer degrees.
  4. Your social insurance number: You will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada in order to work in Canadian institutions or receive benefits and services from government programs.

Social Insurance Number

To apply for a SIN for on-campus work, you must have one of the following conditions printed on your study permit (visa document):

  • May accept employment on campus of the institution at which student is registered as a full-time student
  • May accept employment on or off campus upon meeting eligibility criteria

Future Prospects

If you want to stay in Canada after completing your study, you avail the opportunity to get valuable work experience by completing the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PWPP) and maybe this program may also help apply to become a permanent resident of Canada.

PWPP work permits are valid up to a maximum of three years and let student work in any occupation, as well as change employers at any time.

You must have graduated from a Canadian-based public or private institution with a recognized degree to qualify for this program and student must submit application for the PWPP within 90 days.

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in Canada.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list