text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

How To Work In Australia While You Study

Do you want to work and study in Australia but are worried? Have no fear!

Australia has plenty of employment opportunities while you're studying. It's common for students to work part time during their university studies in western countries.

Most students start working part-time after 18 years of age to cover tuition fees and living expenses, compared to Asian countries where many students rely on their parents for financial support.

There is no doubt that moving to and staying in a foreign land for education requires a significant amount of funds. Therefore, it is almost inevitable to do part-time work when you study abroad. However, Australia can be a flexible place to study and work for an international student with many part-time jobs and career opportunities. Regardless of how much a student can earn in Australia per hour, he will never be treated illegally.

International Students' Rights at Work in Australia

Students from overseas are entitled to the same workplace protections and wages as all other Australian workers. The Australian government provides justice for all residents and visitors of Australia.

The government of Australia guarantees workers the following fundamental rights when they sign employment contracts for part-time work or full-time employment:

  • The minimum wage, plus superannuation, should be paid to the student.
  • You cannot be dismissed from your job without a valid reason and notification from your employer.
  • If you have a medical emergency or similar, you can take paid time off and schedule breaks during work.
  • Your workplace must be safe and healthy.
  • The employer must ensure that your health has not been compromised during your employment.
  • The compensation will include health insurance and paid leave until you can return to work if you are injured on the job (and it applies to certain occupations where physical labor is involved as driving, loading, etc.).
  • All legal workers in Australia are entitled to the rights mentioned above, regardless of whether they are temporarily on a visa or a permanent resident.

The Best Ways To Find Jobs For Students In Australia

As an international student in Australia, you are likely to find part-time employment. There isn't much challenge in finding a part-time job in Australia for students. Below are several ways to land one:

  • Get the word out to your friends and colleagues
  • Develop your professional and personal networks
  • Job posting sites online
  • College and university job noticeboards and website
  • Companies that specialize in recruitment
  • Groups of alumni at your university

Ideal Jobs For Students

  • The retail sector - includes supermarkets, department stores, boutiques, etc.
  • Catering - cafes, bars, restaurants, etc.
  • Picking fruits and vegetables - seasonal work
  • Cleaning, childcare, and aged care services
  • Clerical and administrative work
  • A tutoring service

Work Permits for International Students in Australia

When your student visa expires, you'll need to apply for a new working visa before your student visa expires if you plan on staying in Australia after you graduate. Here are some options you may qualify for as a graduated international student. Depending on your situation, you may have three choices for post-study work visas.

Temporary (Subclass 485) Graduate Visa - Post-Study Workstream

The most common post-study work visa is the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). It is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution with an eligible qualification, regardless of their field of study. After graduation, they have six months to apply for this visa; depending on their qualification, the stay duration will range from 2 to 4 years.

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass485)- Graduate Work Category

Graduate Work Stream (subclass 485) is for international students who have completed their studies and have skills and qualifications for a job on the skilled occupation list.

A skill set and corresponding qualification are usually closely tied to a position identified by the Australian labor market as short- to medium-term demand. This visa allows students to stay for up to 18 months, and they must apply within six months of completing their course.

Skilled Graduate Visa (Subclass 476)

A student with an engineering degree from a reputable educational institution may apply for this visa within the past two years. This visa is valid for up to 18 months.

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in Australia.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list