text.skipToContent text.skipToNavigation

USA student visa requirements

Visa required to study in the U.S.

Type of study defines the visa requirement

 There are Three Types of Student Visa:

F Student Visa: This category is used to study at any accredited U.S. college or university

J Exchange Visa: This for participating in an exchange program

M Student Visa: It is for a non-academic or vocational study in the U.S

Following documentation are commonly required for a visa application:

  • A valid passport that is valid for at least six months beyond study period
  • Valid I-20
  • Non-immigrant visa application (Form DS-160)
  • Two photographs
  • Academic documents (transcripts, degrees or certificates)
  • Evidence of having sufficient funds to maintain living expenses and tuition fee
  • Evidence of living US after completing studies back to home country
  • Appear for personal interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate

Arriving in the U.S:

  • Do not enter the U.S. more than 30 days before study program begins
  • Contact college or university official when first entering in the U.S

Maintaining a Valid Visa

There are a number of factors you need to do to ensure your visa stays valid, including:

  • Satisfying the purpose for why the Department of State issued the visa
  • Following the regulations related with that purpose

While studying in America student need to observe the following rules:

  • Must attend and pass all classes.
  • If student believe they will be unable to complete the program by the end date listed on the I-20, they can request for possible extension
  • Take a full course of study each term.
  • Cannot drop below a full course of study

Ready to get started? Book a FREE appointment to discuss your study options in USA.

Please select a level of study

Enter subject, choose from the list or hit search

  • Start typing, choose from the list or hit search

  • Enter subject, choose from the list or or hit search

Please type and select an institution

  • Type 3 characters of a university name and select from the list

  • Enter a university or school name and select from the list