Friday, April 25, 2014
Text Size

Site Search


Letter1thumb0 Letter2thumb0

Australia - FAQ's



Q:What’s the processing time for Australian Student Visa?

The Australian Visa Office takes around 10-12 weeks to process a Student Visa. 

Q:What are the entry requirements to study at Australian institutions?

Students must meet minimum academic requirements and need a sufficient level of English language proficiency for entry to Australian education and training institutions. Institutions will assess whether you meet the selection criteria set for your proposed course of study. They will look at the level and content of the study you have completed in Australia or your home country.

Q:How much will it cost to live in Australia?

On an average an international student may spend about AUD 360 per week accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport and telephone. Do keep in mind that this figure depends on your style of living; location and also what course are you studying. However you have to show that you have enough financials to cover your living cost, pay tuitions and your travel.

Q:Are Scholarships available for international students?

Yes. There are various scholarships available for international students. Though majority of these scholarships are available at Post Graduate level by Universities but some institutes also offer scholarships. Please check with your nearest HS Consultants office for an update.

Q:What are Australian university semester dates?
Generally Australian universities have two semesters. The first is from February to June and the second from July to November. This can vary somewhat between universities.

Q:Health and/or Travel Insurance: Do I need it during my study in Australia?

Most visitors cannot access Australia’s subsidized system of health care. Ensuring that you have the right type of Health and Travel Insurance is strongly advised by the Australian Government.

Q:When does my health cover start and stop?

From the day that you arrive to study in Australia until the day that you leave Australia.

Q:Is 15 years of prior education acceptable in Australia?

Yes it is acceptable. 

Q:Is IELTS mandatory to study in Australia?

Yes. IELTS is the only test accepted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) for visa purposes. 

Q:What type of accommodation is available for the students?

Students have a number of options available that can be on-campus or off-campus such as hostels, rented housing, home stay etc. 

Q:Can I work in Australia while studying?

Yes. International Students on a Student visa in Australia can work 20 hours in a week during course time and full time in vacations. However, you cannot start work until you have commenced your course in Australia. 

Q:Can my spouse work as well?

Yes, when you study in Australia, your spouse may work, but only 20 hours per week for undergraduate and postgraduate diplomas. Masters and PhD student spouses may work for unlimited hours. 

Q:Can I get a Permanent Residency after completing my studies?

An attractive option for students is to seek Permanent Residence (PR) after they complete their studies in Australia. In addition to providing an outstanding educational opportunity, once you have completed a registered course of 2 years study in Australia you may be eligible to apply within Australia for a Skilled Permanent Residency Visa under the Graduate Overseas Student Subclass. This will entitle you to permanent residency status thus allowing you unrestricted work rights in Australia. 

Q:Can I extend my visa onshore?

Yes you can do so however in some cases a student is granted a 'No further Stay' clause on their visas. In that case one has to come back and re-apply for a fresh student visa application from the home country. 

Q:Can my spouse or child accompany me in Australia while I am studying?

Yes they can apply for student dependant visa and meet the criteria to be granted a dependant visa. 

Fee Structure 

Approximate tuition fees (in AUD)

Foundation courses:  9,000 to 14,000

Bachelor degree:  13,000 to 20,000

Graduate certificates and diplomas:  9,000 to 16,000

Masters and doctoral degrees:  14,000 to 20,000

Vocational training:  9,000 to 12,000


Some Useful website links (study in Australia)           (Immigration Australia)   (Government of Australia)       (Council of Australian Government) (List of Australian Universities)   (Jobs for Australian Graduates)       (Government website for job search)         (No.1 website for job search in Australia)



HS Consultants Infomercial


HS Consultants Book





What is the Ideal Destination for higher studies?