Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Text Size

Site Search


Letter1thumb0 Letter2thumb0

Canada - FAQ's


Q:How much time it will take for processing the student visa for Canada?

Processing time when applying for Student Visa from Pakistan is around 10 weeks 

Q:What’s the time difference between Pakistan & Canada?                              

Pakistan is 10 hours ahead of Canada

Q:What is the official language?

Canada is a bilingual country with two official languages - English and French.  Most of the French-speaking inhabitants live in Quebec. However, almost all non-Quebec based universities offer education instruction in English only.

Q:What documents are required when applying for the student visa?

You need the following documents to apply for a study permit:

Proof of acceptance

Proof of identity

Proof of financial support

Q: What is the IELTS requirement?

It differs from institution to institution but the minimum requirement is 6.0 and not less than 5.0 in each individual band. 

Q:What is the academic entry requirement?

It differs from institution to institution but the minimum is 50% 

Q:What is the duration of the program offered?

Undergraduate programs are of 4 years duration, except in Ontario, where there is three-year Bachelor degrees and three-year Master's degrees. In the other parts of Canada, post-graduate programs (Master's) are of two years duration. 

Q:What is the living expense?

Canada would be between CAN $ 8,000-12,000 per annum, depending upon the location of their residence 

Q:What type of accommodation is available for the students?

Students have a number of options available that can be on-campus or off-campus such as hostels, rented housing, home stay etc. 

Q:Can student go for a part time job?

Yes but only after 6 months of studies with the permission of the institution. 

Q:What are the job opportunities for students?

Students are allowed to work only on campus. Though they can work off campus if are enrolled in co-op program. 

Q:Can I get a work permit after completing my studies in Canada?

Yes, a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A Post-Graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length 

Q:Can I take my spouse & children along?

Spouse & children can accompany on visitor visa. 

Q:Is 15 years education is acceptable in Canada?

Canada follows 16 years of education so if a student wishes to enroll for Masters he/she has to do one year Post graduate diploma 

Q:Do I have to go under any Medical Test?

Yes at the time of visa application 

Q:Do I have to get a Police Verification Certificate?

It depends on the institution. Some of the courses like Early Childhood, Nursing program there is requirement of Police Verification Certificate. 

Q:Is there any application fee?

Yes, it varies between CAD$ 50-250. Some of the institutions do not charge admission fee. 

Q:Do I have to pay fee before the visa?

Yes at least first semester fee is to be paid before the visa.

Q:What is the range of the course fee for UG and PG?

Its between 11000 to 16000 on an average.

Canadian education costs are relatively cheaper than US and other countries - by at least 30%. Coupled with its low cost of living, Canada is one of the best destinations for international students. 

Some useful links (Government of Canada) (Citizenship & Immigration Canada) (Canada border services agency) (Canadian High Commission Pakistan) (information Canada)

WWW.CMHC.CA   (Canada mortgage & housing corporation) (Yellow Pages Canada)





HS Consultants Infomercial


HS Consultants Book





What is the Ideal Destination for higher studies?