Thursday, April 24, 2014
Text Size

Site Search


Letter1thumb0 Letter2thumb0

UK - FAQ's



Q: What is the Point Based System (PBS)?

The PBS is the method for deciding whether you qualify to come to study in the United Kingdom. TO qualify, you must earn a certain number of points in two categories. For more information on PBS and how it works, contact with our counsellors at any HS Consultants nearest office.

Q: How is a Foundation Course different from A-Level?

A Foundation Course (or sometimes known as Access course) is an alternative route to an undergraduate degree programme. It is basically a one-year pre-university course that is specific to the subject that you wish to study at undergraduate degree level. You will be able to enrol onto an undergraduate degree programme when you satisfactorily complete this course, subject to your meeting all the university’s specific entry requirements.

Q: Who can do a Foundation Course?

An intermediate student, O-levels OR SSC passes students, with minimum of IELTS 4.5 but preferably 5.0 Band in many Universities.

Q: What is Year-One Entry?

It is an extensive 4 term program of academic subjects.  It is designed to provide direct path to year 2 and is equivalent to the first year of an undergraduate degree. On successful completion of the course and having met the required entry standards, students will proceed directly to their preferred degree programme.

Q: Who is eligible for Year-One Entry?

An Intermediate student with at least 50% or above, students have completed A-levels or AS-levels but not acquire a good grades can get year offer from selected institutes. Students should have IELTS 5.5 Band but low band IELTS holder can be accepted with Pre-session course.

Q: Who is offering Year-One Entry & Foundation Programmes?

HS Consultants (Pvt) Ltd has collaboration with four prestigious educational groups worldwide:

  • Study Group
  • Navitas
  • INTO
  • Kaplan


Q: What is a Pre-Masters Course?

The Pre-Master offers direct path to a Master Degree for International students, who do not meet the University's Postgraduate entry requirements or wanted to refresh their knowledge. It is the best way to prepare for Postgraduate degree. Students can progress into various Master programmes and MBA through Pre-Master course.

Q: Who is eligible for a Pre-Masters Course?

Students having 3 years Bachelor Degree OR having 16 years degree but not having required results OR students wanted to do MBA but not having required experience can do Pre-Master course. Further students having low score of IELTS such as 5.5 OR 5.0 also can do this course.

Q: Are there any Scholarships & Discounts available on all the courses mentioned above?

Universities offer very attractive merit based scholarships and competitive discounts. Please do contact to our staff member for confirmation of discount or scholarship offer by your chosen university.

Q: I wish to do Masters in the UK. What are the entry requirements?

Generally, the entry requirement for a Masters programme is a good undergraduate degree in a related field. However, for those who do not possess a first degree, their application may still be considered based on their own merits as admissions decisions are made independently by each institution.

Working experience, although not necessary in some cases, would be an advantage. If the admissions office still considers your qualifications and/or working experience insufficient, they may recommend that you do extra courses at the university before fully embarking on the Masters programme.

Universities also ask applicants to show proof of the English language ability through the IELTS examination.

Q: What if I want to do a Professional Course from UK?

Yes, you can do Professional Courses like ACCA & CIMA with a very affordable tuition fees.

Q: Can I work, while studying in UK?

Yes, International students who get admissions in Public Funded/Government Institutions are allowed to work part-time (for not more than 20 hours per week) during term and full time during vacations.

Q: What are the costs involved in studying in the UK?

There are two costs involved:

  • Course fees
  • Living expenses

 Q: How much do I need to pay for course fees?

The average range of fees you should expect to pay includes:

  • Boarding Schools - £7,000 - £10,000 per term (there are 3 terms in a year)
  • Pre-university courses - £7,000 - £9,000 per year
  • Undergraduate courses - £7000 - £25,000 per year
  • Postgraduate courses - £8,000 - £25,000 per year

Q: What is the cost of living in the UK?

Generally speaking, you will need to budget £7200 per annum if you studying in London and £5400 per annum if you are studying outside London. These include costs paid towards food and lodging.

Q: Is there any age limit for the UK student Visa?

No, as such no age limit, however it’s expected that the student must show his intended to study there.

Q: Can my child study in a state school in UK?

Yes, if you are going to study in the UK on a course lasting more than six months, your child (from the age of four up to sixteen) will be eligible to study in a state school.

Q: Do I have to pay for healthcare if I am a student in the UK?

Yes, If you are enrol on a course that lasts for six months and above, you will be entitled to Healthcare under the National Health Service. It also covers your spouse and your children if they are below 16. This means that consultation with GP is free and you would only need to pay prescription charges.

Q: If what if I my visa application is refused?

You can file for an Administrative Review in some particular cases.

Q: what is the ratio of issuance of visas now days?

Only genuine students are granted visas.

Q: Is it possible to get admission transferred in another university, while in UK?

Yes, but first you have to study at least six months in the same university then you can transfer to another university.

Q: Once in UK, Can I come back to Pakistan?

Yes, you can because it is a multiple Visa.

Q: What restriction applies on student visa?

There few restrictions apply on student visa, as you cannot initiate a business. You are supposed to be in attending classes. Not involved in any activity other than studies.

Q: What documents required for processing an application?

Copies of all educational documents, copy of IELTS/TOEFL results, two photographs, two reference letters from your last place of study and copy of experience letter if any.

Q: How can I check the status of application with FedEx?

For the updated status of your application, For PTCL land lines: 090010411& from mobile dial: 8865 follow the instruction accordingly or log on:

Some Useful Websites links   (UK Border agency)     (UK Council for International Student Affairs)                  (Info on studying, living & working in UK) (UK visa info for Pakistan) (helping you manage your money as UK Student) (Student jobs portal for UK students) (Transport for London)





HS Consultants Infomercial


HS Consultants Book





What is the Ideal Destination for higher studies?